CAFKA - Contemporary Art Forum Kitchener and Area is an artist-run organization that produces a biennial exhibition of contemporary art projects in the public spaces of the Region of Waterloo. Through the exhibition, lectures, tours, workshops and related special events, CAFKA develops opportunities for people in the community to learn about contemporary art, and participate in its making. The CAFKA biennial exhibition imprints itself on the local cityscape, creating memorable experiences and an engaging, animated and stimulating urban environment. Since 2001 CAFKA has produced five annual exhibitions, six biennial exhibitions, two off-biennial exhibitions, two special projects for a total of 246 artworks by 211 artists from every continent.
CAFKA is currently seeking a Program Manager to join its team. This is a full-time contract position that will report to the CAFKA Board of Directors and General Manager.
CAFKA is seeking a highly organized individual with strong communication and leadership skills to help pivot the biennial exhibition into a hybrid physical-virtual format. The Program Manager will work alongside CAFKA’s general manager to handle all technical and physical aspects of art installations and performances, as well as administer virtual events. The ideal candidate will work within public health guidelines to help find new ways to further promote CAFKA’s mandate of bringing thought-provoking art to our public spaces in order to in inspire, engage and enrich community life. CAFKA’s Program Manager is passionate about community-building, with a strong knowledge of contemporary art.
- Chair the installation committee
- Co-ordinate procurement of materials(including rentals), equipment, permits, and volunteers and skilled labour for all installations and presentations.
- work with the artists, city of Kitchener staff (or property owners/sponsors), and the installation team, to ensure all technical details for installations, performances, and events, are taken care of.
- Troubleshoot and immediately rectify issues related to the physical artwork during shipping, installation/deinstallation, or during the exhibition.
- Plan, source, and implement technological strategies to enable online audience engagement with the biennial.
- Select and set-up online platforms to stream events (live stream, or pre-recorded) (i.e. webinars for lectures and panel discussions, live stream performances, podcasts, virtual exhibition tours)
- Set-up and coordinate audio and video equipment (including lighting, projections) and internet bandwidth requirements
- work with the marketing and program committee to develop impactful digital, video, and interactive content
- Video documentation– coordinate the production of video interviews with each of the biennial artists, edit and post on CAFKA TV.
- coordinate information on digital platforms (website)
- assembling and supervising crews (staff, artists, and volunteers) and delegating tasks, for art installations/performances and program delivery
- Scheduling (artists, volunteers, equipment, transportation)
- Ensure all projects have required permits(building permits, electrical inspections)
- Prepare a health and safety plan for worksites (hard hats, Covid protocols, etc.)
- Ensure all installers have appropriate training (working at heights), arrange training if needed
- Conduct inspections to make sure health and safety is being followed, maintenance is being performed as required, etc.
- Coordinate exhibition tours, along with the education committee
- Coordinate any guest lecturers (including Big Ideas), tours, and other CAFKA events (opening ceremony, party), in cooperation with the curatorial and education team.
- a passion for Contemporary Art
- strong written and verbal communication skills
§ flexible, agile, team member who can accommodate change, diverse points of view, and creative problem solving (think on your feet)
§ demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team
- Experience in program coordination and delivery
- Demonstrated planning and scheduling skills
- Experience maintaining budgets
- Experience liaising with artists; drafting agreements/contracts
- Experience in working with and forming partnerships
- Excellent written and verbal communicational skills
- Strong organizational skills, and great attention to detail
- Ability to multifunction, meet multiple deadlines, and work under pressure
- Communicate effectively with artists, participants, audience members, and other stakeholders; respond to all stakeholders in a timely, effective and respectful manner
- Team player, able to work independently
- Experience working with the public, including diverse audiences and all age ranges
- Ability to collaborate
- Ability to work with students and volunteers
Required Experience / Technical Skills
- Post-secondary degree, college or university
- experience working or volunteering with a not-for-profit arts organization or arts event management
- experience in audio/video production
- experience hosting virtual events and/or utilizing online platforms for content delivery
- curatorial experience an asset
- Availability some evenings and weekends as necessary
- candidate may be required to work remotely using their own laptop and internet connection
- Must abide by CAFKA’s Covid-19 safety protocols and safety measures
- This full-time contract position runs from mid March until August, 2021
- Hours are flexible and will require a combination of daytime and evening responsibilities with hours varying from month to month and increasing as the Exhibition approaches.
- Compensation to be negotiated based on skills and experience ($3000-$5000/month paid biweekly).
- No additional hours, overtime, or benefits will be paid unless approved by the Board of Directors.
- This position may be extended at the completion of the contract.
Application Deadline:Monday March 8th, 2021
To Apply: We invite individuals who reflect the diversity of our community to apply by submitting a well-tailored letter of interest and CV in one PDF document to: [email protected]
We thank all applicants but must advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.